Linnethea Monique Leakes (Nene Leakes) is a real housewife of Atlanta and one of my Queens. Now before you roll your eyes and stop reading give this a chance! Nene has a humble beginning: small town girl, stripped to pay the bills (bandz made her dance! Ayeeeee!), married rich, became a real housewife, became an actual actress outside of reality TV, saved her marriage, and managed to not make a name for herself merely by hopping on different trashy reality shows and fighting with people. Now yes, she can be loud but she keeps it real. She described herself perfect; “Let me get you to understand I don’t bully anybody. I stand up for what I believe in and I’m very honest and I always tell the truth. I’m not a liar, I’m not manipulative and I don’t stab you in your back because I will stab you in your chest.”
So here are 5 life lessons that Nene has taught us.
1) “Close ya legs to married men!” But really. It’s 2014. These trollops have GOT to stop sleeping around with married men, women, or both(didn’t want to leave anyone out). Just don’t do it. While I’m parked right here, all those cheaters in general, go somewhere else with that. Until you do right, your life will never be right. OKAY?! (snaps fingers in Z formation)
2) “You touch me girl, I will wear that wig off your head. A straight hooker. Andy, I’m gonna respect you and let you do this interview next to this trashbox. Trashy hooker. Go on.” – Listen, sometimes you need to check someone and let him or her know what time it is. I try to remain calm, cool, and collected at all times. The problem is that it tricks people into thinking you are weak and they can walk all over you. No ma’am, not today or EVER! God gave of mouths, voices, words, and opinions. USE THEM (Wisely. You probably don’t want to pop off at the president of your company or Oprah). Don’t let anyone steal your shine.
3) “I’m just not into trying to convince people to like me. I always say to myself, ‘It is what it is.’ I walk into a situation knowing that people are either going to love me or they’re going to love me or they’re not, and that’s OK. I’m just going to be me. You can’t be everything to everyone.” Y’all I just ran around my room in praise in worship. Not everyone is going to like you in life. Point. Blank. Period. Don’t stress over it and REALLY take the time to appreciate those people that love you for YOU! Can I get an amen from the choir? It’s one of those lessons that people learn in their own time, but once you learn it your REAL friendships become stronger.
4) “I think that everyone is saying all kinds of things about ’rich.’ Not only am I rich from doing some of the things I’ve been able to do, but I’m rich in spirit. I’m rich in health. I’m rich in every possible way.” I’m just as guilty as everyone in believing that while money can’t buy happiness, it surely can buy you a crap ton of things (or at least pay off my car and student loans). If someone put a million dollars in your bank account today, TRY and tell me that after you body rolled, whipped your hair, and popped your booty, you wouldn’t be ten times happier! That being said, while we all wait for this money to magically appear, we do need to begin shifting our focus to the richness in life that we have. Yes, it is hard to believe that we are rich in life every time an agent from our student loan providers calls wanting more money that we CLEARLY don’t have, BUT at least we are alive to receive that phone call, right?!
5) “I am here now because I am supposed to be here. And I guess when it is my time to cross over there, I will be over there. I am not religious, but I am spiritual, honey. My day is coming!” Be Patient. Be Daring. Be Bold. Be Great. Know that nothing in life lasts forever, so if you’re going through something, it has to end. What we can’t do is kick are feet back, eat Ben and Jerrys Milk and Cookies Ice Cream (GET INTO THIS FLAVOR THO! Thank us later), and expect life to change in the way we want it. Hard work is always rewarded at SOME point in life. If you’re really feeling down and out ask yourself, what would Beyonce do? Oh you know, Perform at the Presidents inauguration, Perform at the Superbowl, wake innocent people up early in the morning for a PEPSI COMMERCIAL (still pressed about it), go on a sold out world tour, be a wife, raise a child, OH and record a flawless album with accompanying videos (Girl WHAT and HOW?). Stan moment over but really….go and be GREAT y’all!
Who do you find inspiration in, be it your parent or a reality show star? Comment here OR tweet us @ClassNTrashShow. I’ll leave you with one of Nene’s finest moments. Need a lesson on how to set someone straight? Watch below and be sure to watch Real Housewives of Atlanta every Sunday. Now twirl on THAT! BLOOP!